Marriage Celebration

Information on marriage celebrations at the Consulate of Bolivia.

A Marriage Celebration is a legal act by which two persons of opposite sex who meet the requirements set by law, go before a Consular Officer to request record that decision in the accompanying book, constituting a regulated union endowed with stability and permanence. Both parties must be come to the consulate with the following requirements:

  1. Act expressing the will of marriage (matrimonial Edict). This is a document in which it expresses their will to marry must be requested at the Consulate General in person with valid identity documents (Carnet de Identidad or Passport for Bolivians and foreign passport with translation if applicable) and witnesses (not necessarily Bolivians with passports or Carnet de Identidad duly translated if applicable) 15 days prior to the marriage.
  2. Birth certificate (Bride and Groom)
  3. Certificate of Non-Impediment (Bride and Groom)
    • Proof of the termination of any prior marriages by death, divorce or annulment
  4. Valid Passport or Identification (Bride and Groom)
  5. Two witnesses with valid Identity Cards or Passports (Do not have to be relatives)
  6. IF BRIDE OR GROOM IS NOT BOLIVIAN, documents must be legalized by the courts in their country of origin, if they were in another language, must also be translated into Spanish and legalized.

NOTE - . Having completed the marriage certificate.


  • Celebration of marriage between Bolivians: $ 50.00
  • Celebration of marriage between a Bolivian individual and a foreign individual: $ 100.00
  • Legalization of a Marriage Certificate not granted by the Consul, between Bolivian individuals or a Bolivian individual with a foreign individual (original or photocopy): $ 15.00
  • Legalization of a Marriage Certificate not granted by the Consul among non-Bolivian individuals (original or photocopy): $ 50.00


  • Bolivian Marriage Certificate
  • Family Booklet

1825 Connecticut Avenue N.W. Suite 200C

Washington, DC 20009

Tel: (202) 232-4827 / 4828

Fax: (202) 232-8017

M-F: 9:00am - 3:00pm