For a marriage celebrated abroad, to be valid in Bolivia, it must be registered with the Consulate of Bolivia.

To register your marriage at the Consulate of the Plurinational State of Bolivia must meet the following requirements , no exceptions :

  1. Certificate of Marriage
    • Document must be certified by the Secretary of State where it was issued and authenticated by the State Department of the United States of America (See procedure Legalization)
    • Legalization and translation of the marriage certificate is required by the Consulate.
    • The Certificate of Marriage must be translated into Spanish, the General Consulate of Bolivia in Washington D.C. can translate (See procedure translation)
  2. Original or certified copy of the birth certificate of the spouses
    • If one spouse is not Bolivian must perform the same procedure to legalize birth certificate at the Consulate.
    • No translation of any required certificates
    • Photocopies of birth certificates will not accepted
  3. Valid Identification of both spouses
  4. Presentation of two (2) witnesses armed with valid identity documents
    • Witnesses must not necessarily be Bolivian
  5. Proof of current residence
    • Utility bill , lease etc. 
  6. Both contractors must be present. In case one of the spouses is prevented from applying for approval at the Consulate General of Bolivia in Washington D.C. Must present a Special Power duly legalized in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Plurinational State of Bolivia (in case it is in Bolivia) or Special Power duly legalized through a Consulate of Bolivia in the United States (in case it is found In the United States) or Special Power duly legalized through a Bolivian consulate outside the United States or Bolivia

Appointments are not required , the approximate time of each registration is 15 minutes.