Student Visa

A student visa is granted to foreign citizens traveling to Bolivia in order to study  or take part in academic activities. 

Student Visa: It is issued for sixty (60) calendar days, with the purpose of studying at primary, secondary and higher education institutions, enables the process of temporary stay of a student for up to three (3) years, renewable for periods of up to three (3) years, until the completion of their studies to the Directorate General of Immigration;

  1. Student Visa with exchange agreement with the State: It is granted for one hundred eighty (180) calendar days, in order to pursue studies under state academic agreements, enables to process the temporary stay of the student for a similar period;
  2. Student Visa WITHOUT exchange agreement with the State: It is granted for one hundred and eighty (180) calendar days, for the purpose of studying under academic agreements between public or private universities or other foreign schools and enables the temporary stay student for a similar period.


  1. Completed Sworn Statement for Visa Application
  2. Original Passport with at least 6 months of validity
  3. Vaccination Certificate against yellow fever and / or other health certificate, if applicable;
  4. One recent 2" x 2" passport type photograph
  5. Fee of $50.00
  6. School transcript attesting last level studied conducted in school, college or university in the country of residence, legalized by the corresponding Consular Office;
  7. Original or certified copy of acceptance letter issued by the Higher Education Institution in Bolivia. Applicable for a student visa with state or private agreement;
  8. Legalized copy of agreement or interagency agreement as appropriate, where the type of student exchange is established. Applicable for a student visa with private agreement;
  9. Certificate stating that the applicant has no criminal and/or police record, issued by competent authority in the country of origin or last residence, according to current regulations.


Sworn Statement for Visa Application

Lo Que Necesitar Conocer para Estudiar en Bolivia   

Residencia Temporal para Estudiantes de un (1) año     





Jurisdiction of the Consulate General of Bolivia in Washington, D.C.

Processing by Mail

You can complete the process by mail. Payment must be sent in Money Order payable to the Consulate of Bolivia.

We recommend using a reliable, certified or express courrier mail service. Package should include a return pre-paid envelope with the correct return address.

Shipping and returns costs are covered by the applicant. The Consulate is not responsible for lost or damaged documents outside the office or during transit.

1825 Connecticut Avenue N.W. Suite 200C

Washington, DC 20009

Tel: (202) 232-4827 / 4828

Fax: (202) 232-8017

M-F: 9:00am - 3:00pm